Monday, April 20, 2009

On being kept accountable

I have the foundation “Pennies in action” which currently raises funds for breast cancer vaccine research. ( we raised $ 104 000.00 + to date and counting...)
We have containers up in our rink “Iceworks” to raise funds all year long.
Being an athlete all my life, it is all about space and time for me. So money gets translated into distance. 1 penny is ¾ of an inch, 16 pennies is a foot, 48 pennies is a yard, 84480 pennies gives us a mile. If 15 million people would donate 1 penny a month we would have 1.5 million dollars at the end of the year and with that the funding for a multi city trial…
Well my grandchildren know how committed I am to this.
The other day my grandson Justin gave me a penny as a donation. 2 days later at the rink he saw me put some money in the jar and he said: “Omi , remember the penny I gave you a couple of days ago, did you put that in the jar too?” Naturally I had done that, but he wanted to make sure I did not forget…
We could learn a lot from the children on expecting accountability for where their money is going !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment