Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Never judge a book by its cover


It has been so exciting to see, that right now the biggest star on the radar screen is Susan Boyle check her out at www.youtube.com/watch/boyle
How many times have we dismissed people because of the first impression and our shallow way of judging people.
There is a 47 year old woman who by her own admission has never even been kissed. She has harboured this amazing talent that till 5 days ago has never been given a chance.
As one of the judges commented:” This has been a wake up call.”
I have been coaching figure skating on the elite level for 30 years. I remember when I had the pleasure to coach Elvis Stojko (3 time World Champion),
When people in the know, told me “He will never make it” He did not fit the mold of a figure skater. I guess , he showed them, by becoming the biggest star in figure skating in his time. The emotional pain he had gone thru by the time he got there was immeasurable.
Every time I watch the tape of Miss Boyle’s appearance (I have been watching it often since yesterday) I relive the pain Elvis went thru to be determined to get to the top.
I hope she will become the biggest star ever and serve as a reminder that our statements” she has it” or “they will never get it” should never discourage anybody from following their dream…

4 comments:

  1. Don’t really know why I’m so sceptical about the success of those people (e. g. Miss Boyle, Mr Potts, the DSDS singers in my home country). I can’t tell the difference, but whoever saw Elvis on ice or the other Elvis (I’m sure he’s still alive!) on stage knows they got something special. Let’s call it charisma for lack of any other suitable word. This is something you have, or you have to work on. No doubt, I agree, following your dream(s) is a brilliant incentive, but one should not ignore the pride and satisfaction that emerge from serving your fellow humans, your family, your society, your country, which sometimes is very hard and so far away from your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After having been successful in the skating business, I am now involved in charity work check my site www.penniesinaction.org
    I have never been that excited about anything else I have been doing. they are so close ...
    I agree with you, the pride and satisfaction I am feeling is unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know your site. That’s where I found the link to your blog. I’m really impressed by your effort and success. As an NLP and hypnosis therapist and as a future non-medical practitioner I’m very much interested in different approaches how to deal with the medical challenges of our time, both structurally and clinically. Isn’t it a shame that in the past so much money was spent on finding methods how to kill people instead of trying to provide a decent and healthy life for everybody? There’s work to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definately. That is why I am backing this doctor, because he is very open minded.If you wouldn't mind, please go on the link on the site "your 2 cents" we are very interested on what people think...It seemed in the old china doctors only got payed as long as you were well and not when you got sick, What a concept...

    ReplyDelete