Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The basic human rights


• Right to your own perception
• Right to clear information
• Freedom of choice

This seems to be very self explanatory, but to use it in everyday life is very difficult. Sure we try to fight for our own rights . But do we at the same time allow others to preserve their rights…?
This is where it becomes tricky. The one that seems to get violated the most is the “right to your own perception”. We often like to control the way others see things and when they do not agree we tell them they are wrong.
As you can tell this is not a black and white situation . We come from different vantage points to a situation and see things from a different angle. Once we communicate and listen to each other we would recognize that we are often talking about the same thing ,we are just perceiving it differently. Since we are using our senses selectively, we could gain so much by listening and respecting someone else’s point of view. Often it is not a matter of being right or wrong, but rather gaining a wider and additional perspective to the same situation.

“Clear information”: We should be allowed to ask questions until the information is clear to us.

“Freedom of choice”: As we collect clear information we now have the freedom of choosing what to do with it. But so often we are supposed to accept the information or answer we are getting as the only choice. We are often expected to give up our freedom of choice after asking a question…
We do not like when this happens to us, but always ask yourself. “ Am I doing the same thing onto others???

3 comments:

  1. I think it was Richard Bandler (founder/inventor/designer of NLP) who created the phrase: Most of the problems of mankind come up because people think they are talking about the same thing, only because they are using the same words. It seems to be a basic difficulty for us to find a common denominator as to how to interpret the world around us. Of course, we are always trying to convince our next-door-neighbours of our personal view of reality (whatever that my be). Isn’t that just normal?

    (By the way, I feel a bit like an intruder here. I found your blog by chance. I’m not really sure whether comments are welcome.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment. I have always been interested in other peoples perceptions. Please feel free to comment I appreciate it very much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, then! I'm afraid I didn't quite understand your concept of freedom of choice. I ask myself, am I really expected to give up my freedom of choice after asking a question. This is an issue I haven't grasped so far. My grandmother used to say "Des Menschen Wille ist sein Himmelreich." She was right in so many respects, and her concept does not imply giving up any kind of freedom.

    ReplyDelete