Sunday, November 1, 2009

When you think you can't there is lots left inside of you...

As part of my figure skating training I spent 3 afternoons a week at the track working out.

When you are in a sport judged on opinion, it is very important that you also do something where you can measure the result of your energy output.

My Dad was an engineer and was very much into science. He calculated my average for the season in each discipline (high jumping, running long jump , 100 meter run.) and in the off season I had to do every week-end 1500 m cross country.

I was 13 years old and at that point German junior ladies champion in figure skating and district champion in High jumping.

We came to the track at 3pm and went to the high-jump pit. After warming up I was ready. Steadily the bar was raised and was now at the average that was calculated for me. Every other time I could get over that with very little problem. Not so that fateful day …wow... I tried and tried and the bar always fell down. My Dad sat steadfast “ we are not leaving till you get over it…”

I went thru every emotion you can imagine anger , feeling sorry for myself, hating my Dad etc. Now it is 8:30 at night, we had floodlights at the track. People had gathered and felt sorry for the poor girl and made comments about the cruel father . He took it all without saying a word. But I knew my Dad well enough to know that he meant what he said. WE WILL NOT LEAVE UNTIL YOU GET OVER IT.

I remember as if it was yesterday. I mustered everything I had ,set to jump --- jumped----and when I was on the ground the bar had stayed up….

My Dad said ,” ok lets go home and NEVER FORGET WHEN YOU THINK YOU CAN’T THERE IS STILL A LOT LEFT IN RESERVE!!!

This was many years ago and this experience has governed my life. You only need to prove that to yourself once and you know it.

I always admired my Dad for having had the strength to stand tall to the nee sayers and teach me one of the most valuable lessons of my life…

1 comment:

  1. I knew your dad by sight. I remember a white- or gray-haired gentleman with glasses, always busy with an 8 mm camera. I saw him at quite a few athletics meetings which I attended as well.

    Good Dumbledore! That was some 50 years ago, and just the other day I found a few pictures taken at the Landeschülersportfest in Annweiler (1961 or 1962), where you came in 1st place. I was the 24th in the boys's group, because I was only good at running.

    You must be very happy that you had your dad to back you up, and to lead you to your personal threshold to a new experience. My dad never was there when I needed guidance. So I had to go the hard way. For some time I developed my personality by trial and error, which someimes was very painful and deeply embarrassing. But I'm grateful for the chance to find out myself how great it feels when you're "running against the wind" (as Bob Seger puts it).

    By the way, have you ever thought of writing your autobiography? You have something to say!

    ReplyDelete